What is this?
It is text classification model, a Convolutional Neural Network has been trained on 1.4M Amazon reviews, belonging to 7 categories, to predict what the category of a product is based solely on its reviews. You can try it live above, type your own review for an hypothetical product and check the results, or pick a random review.
How does it work?
- The characters of each review are one-hot encoded, and the review is represented as a matrix. This review is passed through 1D (or temporal) convolutions and pooling layers all the way to a classification step where the review is classified as one of the N categories
- Check this video series that explains what convolutions are and how to apply them to Natural Language Processing:
- Paper: Xiang Zhang, Junbo Zhao, Yann LeCun. Character-level Convolutional Networks for Text Classification . Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 28 (NIPS 2015)
- Icons credits:
- Amazon Review Dataset:
- Image-based recommendations on styles and substitutes. J. McAuley, C. Targett, J. Shi, A. van den Hengel. SIGIR, 2015
- Inferring networks of substitutable and complementary products. J. McAuley, R. Pandey, J. Leskovec. Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2015